Thursday, August 13, 2009

Two years

Two years ago this week I was deep into the tunnel preparing the RTP for what as we all know as a less than satisfactory run at the Iron Butt Rally.

My last post was just about one year ago. I put the RTP back together for a Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in 24 hours) to the IBA National Meet in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It was a fine ride and last fall the RTP won a major prize at the Larz Anderson Classic European Motorcycle Day.

I put it away and three weeks ago pulled it out and went to the BMW RA National Rally in Canaan, West Virginia. 600 down, sleep, party, ride 200 twisty miles in WVA and 600 back was a wonderful three days.

I was selected in the drawing for the 2009 Iron Butt Rally but along the way something more important and hopefully much more rewarding happened.

My oldest son Dillon was accepted early decision to Reed College in Portland, Oregon.

Now I've always wanted to take my son to school in a sidecar but various reasons always prevented me from getting the right rig. Somewhere around January I woke up and realized that if I didn't do this now I never would, plus what could be better than a little father son bondage on three wheels for 11 days? You can bet that for some time Dillon would say anything would be better but after seeing the construction of the rig and a few rides Dillon is with the program.

While financially painful it was easy to blow off my fourth IBR for a chance to go cross-country with Dillon. He'll only be a 17 year old freshman once and luck willing I'll get in the 2011 rally so it will all be good. Chances are it won't be on the RTP but that's a whole 'nother post.

Right now it's game on as we leave in 24 hours.

More to follow.. Or not.