Thursday, July 18, 2013

CP2: Oh Captain, My Captain

CP2
Oh Captain, My Captain



The Iron Butt Rally is designed to be a test of the rider and machine.  In the early days of of the rally simply getting a motorcycle to the finish with three mandatory stops along the way was was an achievement worthy of being a finisher.  This was known as a base route ride.  As motorcycle design has progressed to the point where spooling off Saddle Sore 1000's for 11 days on the interstate is no big deal the organizers dropped a checkpoint and made the requirement to be a finisher points based rather than on miles ridden.  This eliminated the ability to ride a base route.  As in almost every Iron Butt Rally held, the degree of difficulty along with the point values go up in the final leg.  With this in mind I was determined to have a good stay at the second checkpoint.

Get scored, attend to bike, get sleep.

A few hours before arriving at the second checkpoint I was feeling pretty good.  I was starting to see other riders and that's always good for a boost. This is when I started to worry about getting stuck in a scoring que and tried to do a "splash and go" for a fuel stop.  A "splash and go" is a short tank, filling the main tank until the trigger pops.  No aux fill and no top off.  Because I was running a tracking device I did not need to keep a fuel log.  For the second leg I went all in on this bonus and didn't bother keeping receipts for fuel.

Other than costing me 30 minutes looking for my whiz bang super speedy gas cap that both my wife and dealer told me I'd loose it was a great idea.

While I looked for a small black cap that I heard pling off the bike at speed I had plenty to time to remind myself that it's really easy to be stupid on the IBR.  Thankfully it happened at a time and place where the potential to minimize the impact of my dope move was very high as one of my last stops for points was to be A&S BMW.

I made an intermediate stop and rolled into A&S as the mechanic as getting ready to leave.  They were open on this Sunday afternoon by appointment for IBR riders who needed tires and service.  While they didn't have an aftermarket cap they did have a '12 GSA on the floor.  I heard the bike telling me to take anything I needed.  The mechanic heard it too and before the GM could come up with a reason not to help me out the fuel cap assembly and an ignition key to the bike was in my hand and my card was on the table.  It's not rallying if you're not ready to throw down a VISA card before hearing the balance.

Back on my way to the checkpoint I was ready to reveal my secret weapon, my ace in the hole or more to the point a complete stranger I recruited off the Internet.  Adventure Rider to be specific.  Three weeks before the rally.  The rider's version of speed dating

On the 18th of June I sent the following request to "Capt. Ron."

Good morning,

I saw your gracious offer of help to a rider in the upcoming Iron Butt Rally and I'm wondering if I could also ask for a little assistance.

Specifically I need a friend I can ship a set of wheels to.  Ideally this friend would receive the wheels and bring them to the hotel on the afternoon of the 7th along with a torque wrench and if possible a small jack.

If you could help out I would be grateful and gladly send you a nice bottle of your favorite hooch or perhaps some genuine real Vermont maple syrup.

My direct email is xxxxxxxxxxx and my phone is 401 xxx-xxxx

Thanks very much.

- Rob Nye



A rider couldn't ask for a better "pit stop."  Also another example of my keeping fine company.


That PM generated a welcome station the envy of riders near and far.   After the first checkpoint I was a little less inhibited about asking for help and Ron delivered.  It went from "Did the tires arrive?" to "Are you any good with a wrench?" about halfway from Pike's Peak.  Thanks to Ron I was able to sit and prepare for scorning while he changed both wheels and replaced a bulb on my GS.   This was a vast improvement from the first checkpoint and I got scored with no issues and even managed to get a plate of food.  I even moved up a few spots in the standings which I sort of expected.  I figured my float level for the rally was in the mid 20's or so and if I kept riding error free and executing my plans I'd be ok.

Leg 2 as ridden.


In addition to painless scoring and the excellent service on the bike I got to spend a few minutes with some of my LD Riding friends from the west.  It was great to get a high five and chat with you guys and gals; thanks for coming out.  I can't say I blame you for never coming east of Denver.

I had looked forward to the California checkpoint.  I love riding in the west, I have some great friends to visit and if I do it right I'll be ready for the final leg which I figured will be the best riding of the rally.  I felt that if rested I could make a choice, ride hard for points and see how much I could move up or go for a great ride.  I was hoping one could combine the two; as I drifted off to sleep I looked forward to getting the book in almost 8 hours.

Next

The Bike