Tuesday, July 24, 2007

bloggledeegoop

Welcome,

I am preparing for the 2007 Iron Butt Rally which is in 27 days, 21 hours, 9 minutes and 10 seconds from now., not that I am paying attention to time or anything. (you can stop trying to check the post time to the actual start time, I noted the time when I started blogging, silly)


This will be my third IBR. I finished my first in 2003 on a BMW K11LT. It was a great bike but it met it's demise on the rally. I hit oil outside of Moab, Utah and pretty much destroyed the left side of the bike. I got a flatbed into town and thanks to the good folks at Moab Off Road I was able to get the valve cover welded and rejoined the rally the next morning.



My dearly departed K 11.



After collecting myself I finshed the rally in 23rd place which was good enough for a silver medal. I felt pretty good about the finish and decided to try again in 2005.



For '05 I purchased a R1150GS Adventure from Max Stratton of MAX BMW Motorcycles. I'll talk more about Max later, he has become a good friend and a big supporter of my IBR efforts.



The 2004 GS Adventure I rode in 2005.





For 2007 I have a 2006 BMW R1200 RTP with the P standing for Police as in Authority Motor.

The intent of my blog is to discuss the build of the Police bike and what it is like during the final 20 or so days before the Iron Butt Rally.