Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Cat Empire

Twenty Five Days to Go.

If I type it all out does it get any longer?

26 days to go and I am so not ready. I suppose that if the rally was on Monday I could be ready and that in my world I'll never actually be "ready" so I'll just do the best I can.

I have a few bike issues to sort out. I have had a chance to do the ride to the MOA National in West Bend with a long day being 600 miles and my little adventure on the Cabot Trail last weekend. My communications system is not quite right, I have a leak in the hydration system, my seat has a wicked hot spot and the aux fuel transfer system is not quite 100%. These are the big items.

On the little detail side the list is long and ever changing as I spend more time with the bike.

To address the issues above I need to strip all the bodywork off the bike which is a hassle and takes time. I don't want to do this more than once or at the most twice between now and the rally and I don't want to have it off for more than one day per session so scheduling is going to be key.

I also need to do a test load of my complete rally set up. I will be riding each weekend and doing simulated rallies while scouting bonus locations for the Minuteman 1000, an endurance rally I host along with the North East LD Riders in June.

Once I figure out where everything is going to live I can attack some smaller details such as installing the bungee buddies (tie down points) on the panniers and if I will need to add a small briefcase on top of the Storm Case.

So tonight rather than attack the bike I will be heading into Providence with my son Dillon and his friend Eva to see the Cat Empire at Lupos Heartbreak Hotel. I am a big fan of good music and I am delighted that my son and I can enjoy the same bands. He turned me onto the Cat Empire and I introduced him to Modest Mouse. It is a blessing and a curse when your 15 year old wants to borrow your I-Pod and your best headphones.

Speaking of Modest Mouse they are playing Cleveland, OH the night I leave Bristol for the Iron Butt Rally. I can't think of a better way to blow off a little pre rally steam than an evening with Modest Mouse so I have two tickets.

I think we could all agree that it would be really dumb to take the FJ to the show with the RTP on the trailer or try to park the whole rig at a hotel downtown. I'm looking for a like minded individual who might have a place in the western suburbs for me to leave the trailer for the evening. If you like Modest Mouse and want to see the show I am sure arrangements can be made especially if you might want to put a weary traveler on your sofa or even in a tent in the backyard.