Thursday, July 26, 2007

Let's talk about MAX!

Good morning,
Last night's show with the Cat Empire was everything I hoped for and much more. They brought some serious energy to Lupos and I rocked the night away. it was a welcome diversion as I get a bit obsessive about the Rally.

Today's topic is the Man who makes it possible for me to have the coolest bike in the rally. This would be none other than Max Stratton, of Max BMW Motorcycles.





Max is about as over the top as you can get. I met Max during the 2003 Iron Butt Rally. Because of my crash in Utah I was well behind my anticipated mileage in Florida where I had planned on switching tires. I delayed the switch thinking that I had firm plans to get tires in New England.

As I headed north on I-95 I learned that my tire plans were not firm and that I was going to need to call in some favors to have fresh rubber in Maine. My buddy the Sheepshagger met up with the Tire Nazi and got the correct rear tire and then went to my house and got the front.
The issue now was how to convince someone to mount tires they didn't sell?

Along the way to the Maine Checkpoint there was a new BMW dealer in North Hampton, NH. I contacted them and asked to speak with Max whom I had never met. I ended up speaking with the head of the service department and after some creative groveling on my part he agreed to help me out.

I arrived at the store and the service manager and I had a bit of a miscommunication that was leading to a few tense moments. I decided that we would simply head up to the checkpoint which was at a Honda Shop and get at the end of the line for mounting tires.

The Sheepshagger intervined and guided me to a grassy spot for a nap and he worked with the service manager to get me all set. He also convinced the mechanic that even though the rims would not balance very well and the left fork was a little "bent", this was to be expected on a bike that had gone 8 thousand miles last week, with more than a few feet of that on its side.

When I awoke from my nap Max had returned. We were introduced and I gave him a brief description of the Iron Butt Rally. As someone who races cars in World Rally (think rally Subaru's in the woods) Max was intrigued. He offered me a shower and as result I arrived at the checkpoint looking a million times better than I felt.




After the rally I felt it was only fair that I give Max a chance to sell me the replacement for the KLT that I wore out in the Rally. He set me up with a R1150GS Adventure that we modified for the 2005 Iron Butt Rally.

In addition to supporting my LD riding, Max is big on supporting events. Max makes my 24hr Rally, the Minuteman 1000 one of the best by insuring our riders have the best bang for the buck in the sport.

Max also supports his customers who want to race through getting us involved in Rally Moto. He also sponsors track days, GS rides and much more. Obviously I will tell you to spend your motomoney with Max but hey I am biased. I will say that the buddies of mine that I have watched become Max customers would also tell you that Max ROCKS!
It is an honor to be supported by Max.