Sunday, August 5, 2007

Can you hear me now?

Today was a nice day for a ride even if it had to be up the Eastern Seaboard via the Delmar peninsula.

As I have said it is not about speed. Here is the money shot from the GPS.



As I have said it is not about speed, it is about keeping moving. As my last weekend of solid riding (I went the same distance yesterday) the bike is working great. I now have just over 11k and will easily get the next 1k so we can do a full service this weekend.

Part of today's ride was to decide exactly how important a integrated cell phone is to a competitive rally rider.

In short order I was able to conclude that I have been fooling myself into thinking that not having the ability to place and receive calls while moving would be no big deal.

In my first rally, the Butt Lite III I arrived at a hotel late at night with another rider. We had been riding for a long time and this was the junction where the road from nowhere got on the Interstate to nowhere and it was this one chain hotel or the ground. It was hot and really humid too.

So we walk up to the counter and the nice lady asks I was the rider who called. I said no and she said I was still in luck she had one room left. Five hours later as we left I saw LD legend Gary Egan trying to sleep on the ground while flies were having him for dinner.

That was 7 years ago. Now if you are out on the interstate highways on a Thursday - Sunday night and you don't get a room by 7 you are on the ground. I have the ability for my GPS to look up a location, give me an ETA and place the call but THEY CAN'T HEAR ME.

So I have been after this for over a month and we are down to under two weeks to go.

First thing tomorrow the plan of action generated on the ride gets put in play. The fairing will come off one more time and I'll have all the necessary parts to troubleshoot the whole ball or wax or I'll simply replace the whole lot.

All I really need is the GPS to work two ways into the helmet, then I have music, phone and traffic.

No big deal with 1 week to get it right.